At the Mobile Breakfast Series in Seattle, Washington, last week, Mark R. Anderson announced the creation of a new alliance to protect intellectual property: The Intellectual Property Protection Alliance. The Alliance is so new that Mark was not willing to disclose details about the Alliance and how it works. He did talk to me about why forming the Alliance is essential. Mark R. Anderson is the CEO of Strategic News Service (SNS). SNS describes itself as “the most accurate predictive newsletter covering the computing and communications industries.” Its readers include Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Marc Andreessen, Gil Amelio and many other industry insiders and influentials.
The Problem. The source of the problem is China’s modern mercantilist economic model. The basic tenets of this model, as set out in an article called What is China? on the SNS blog, A Bright Fire, are:
- Steal Intellectual Property.
- Use Slave Labor Rates to Become the Low-Cost Producer of All Goods and Services.
- Sell Stolen IP Back as Global Exports.
- Industrial Policy: Subsidize Key Industries.
- Prevent (of Restrict) Unwanted Imports.
- Use Currency Manipulation.
- Price for Export, Suppress Domestic Consumption.
- Create the Appearance of Free and Fair Trade, Without the Fact.
- Encourage Foreign Direct Investment – But Don’t Allow Controlling Ownership.